Is coffee bad for you?
I often hear people talk about coffee as if it is a bad thing. People cut it out of their diets for different reasons. Places like Starbucks have given coffee a bad rap. Unfortunately it is because of the sugar filled frappachinos and artificial syrups that have helped with coffee’s bad reputation. If that’s how you are drinking your coffee, then yes, it is bad. But what people do not realize is that coffee itself actually has nutritional value and a host of other benefits. For me coffee is my preworkout drink of choice. The supplement industry is huge. People spend loads of money purchasing energy drinks and powders that contain stimulants and a host of other artificial chemicals in it. Coffee can give you the same effect without all of the artificial ingredients.
Here are a few benefits of coffee that you may not be aware of.
- 1. Coffee helps burn fat! When consumed before a workout, coffee helps convert fat cells into energy. Also coffee has naturally occurring caffeine that helps boost your metabolism.
- 2. Improves focus. Coffee can help improve your focus. This can help you throughout your work day and with studying.
- 3. Enhances your workouts. Coffee is proven to help you push harder through your workouts. Consuming it before exercise can help you get a more intense workout.
- 4. Aids with muscle pain. Research has proven that coffee decreases muscle pain during workout. Therefore it allows you to push harder and longer with less lactic acid build up in your muscles.
- 5. Prevents disease. Coffee has a ton of antioxidants in it. It has been proven to reduce the risk of such diseases as cancer, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Like I said, I love coffee and drink it up to twice a day. It gets me up and ready to teach my 5:30 am classes. I definitely recommend making it yourself. Its cheaper that way. Going to starbucks day in and day out can drain your wallet easily.
Here is my personal recipe for coffee. I use a high quality Itallian coffee called Lavazza. It’s the number one coffee in Italy. After my first trip to Italy, I never went to Starbucks again! I make it in Moka coffee maker. I add one teaspoon of organic hazelnut butter. This gives it flavor, a bit of sweetness and protein from the hazelnuts. I add 2 dashes of cayenne pepper. This stimulates the metabolism and also provides more antioxidants. Instead of creamer, I add a splash of muscle milk protein. There you have it! The perfect pre workout drink.